G+ Photowalk May 4-7: Yosemite National Park
G+ Photowalk May 4-7: Yosemite National Park
- A World Heritage Site, one of the world's most incredible landscapes
- Lunar rainbows ("moonbows")
- waterfalls at peak flow
- dogwood trees blooming by the Merced River
- Spring wildflowers
- reflections in Spring pools & the Merced River
- full moon night landscapes
The second photowalk in my series this Spring, again coinciding with the full moon to maximize shooting opportunities, will be to Yosemite National Park. This is one of the most spectacular landscapes in the world, and with lunar rainbows and night, full waterfalls, and wildflowers and trees blooming, this is arguably the best weekend of the year to visit.
Feel free to RSVP or ask questions here, or for more information in a post which won't get buried, I've set up a post under a new Yosemite page at this link, where I'll maintain all the latest logistical details:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/116372553458318494396/116372553458318494396/posts/ctD6agxqvGR
I hope you can make it!




- A World Heritage Site, one of the world's most incredible landscapes
- Lunar rainbows ("moonbows")
- waterfalls at peak flow
- dogwood trees blooming by the Merced River
- Spring wildflowers
- reflections in Spring pools & the Merced River
- full moon night landscapes
The second photowalk in my series this Spring, again coinciding with the full moon to maximize shooting opportunities, will be to Yosemite National Park. This is one of the most spectacular landscapes in the world, and with lunar rainbows and night, full waterfalls, and wildflowers and trees blooming, this is arguably the best weekend of the year to visit.
Feel free to RSVP or ask questions here, or for more information in a post which won't get buried, I've set up a post under a new Yosemite page at this link, where I'll maintain all the latest logistical details:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/116372553458318494396/116372553458318494396/posts/ctD6agxqvGR
I hope you can make it!




Outstanding!
ReplyDeleteI wish I lived closer! Yosemite is super photogenic!
ReplyDeleteelizabeth hahn AWESOME!
ReplyDeleteAmy Heiden If not May, perhaps April (Vegas) or June (Eastern Sierra)... all good!
Corrected link to the Yosemite post with details: https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/116372553458318494396/116372553458318494396/posts/ctD6agxqvGR
ReplyDeleteWonderful mood, the light and shadow play are great!
ReplyDeleteNice shots dude
ReplyDeleteSuch a gorgeous album!
ReplyDeleteDaniel Schwabe Yes, there are definitely days when the Sierra Nevada earns its nickname, "the Range of Light"!
ReplyDeleteThanks Stefan Haworth! I'd like to get back down your way one of these days too... talk about nice mountains! I haven't been back since my first visit in 1996.
ReplyDeleteJeffrey Sullivan haha I think your a bit overdue then! I'll swap with you ha.
ReplyDeleteNow I want a new camera.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, Awesome stuff.
Que beleza essa foto.
ReplyDeleteBarry Arnold I hear Canon has a very nice one coming out tomorrow. (And when you come, could you bring one of those for me as well?)
ReplyDeleteStefan Haworth It's a deal! Do you fly fish? That's the other great thing to do in both places, (when it's not ski season).
ReplyDeleteThanks Shelly Gunderson Albert Wong Julie Foster Veronica Ruiz and jac jac!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos!
ReplyDeletethose are amazing photos!!! WOW jaw drops
ReplyDeleteniceeeeeeee
ReplyDeleteThis photo fits the true definition of "awesome."
ReplyDeleteTalk about atmosphere, dang. Very special Jeffrey.
ReplyDelete.
ReplyDeleteStunning work!
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful place ! Very good work !
ReplyDeleteUnbelievable!
ReplyDeletewoww fabulous!!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome!!!!
ReplyDeletehy
ReplyDeletepretty
ReplyDeleteสวยมากๆ
ReplyDeletei feel free!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI have a camera...but i'm pretty sure i cant take pictures that amazing!!!
ReplyDeletejk'lkj
ReplyDeleteAweome.pics.
ReplyDeleteosm pic
ReplyDeleteGreat shot! Conveys the immensity and the power of nature in a very moody image.
ReplyDeletei've been to Yosemite! this picture captures its majesty perfectly!
ReplyDeleteawesome!
ReplyDeleteStunning shot :D
ReplyDeletePicturesque
ReplyDeleteGorgeous!
ReplyDeletesuperrrrr
ReplyDeleteYea great View ,would you believe, a person must make reservation's a year ahead to get a very crowded Camp site.
ReplyDeleteJude Leaven Great comment man, Hope to hear more from ya!
ReplyDeleteawesome!!
ReplyDeleteNice pic......
ReplyDeleteSo pretty
ReplyDeleteFantastic photos. Love the pink sky, especially.
ReplyDeletebreathtaking. I'm crying.
ReplyDeleteNATURAL MARVELS...!!!
ReplyDeleteBeautful.
ReplyDeletenice
ReplyDeletePerfect click
ReplyDeleteOne of the magic of nature
ReplyDeletewoww
ReplyDeleteMARVELLOUS
ReplyDeleteSurely they are doctored shots.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful.nice to see positive things...........
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pic
ReplyDeleteI dont know you but wow the pics are great I never knew it so perfect thanks to you I want this to be my next trip
ReplyDeletenice image
ReplyDeletegood pic man
ReplyDeletenc pictr
ReplyDeletelovly.........
ReplyDeletelovely..
ReplyDeletepictues r sick
ReplyDeletegorgeous photos
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the pictures. Very moving, i miss camping out.
ReplyDeletewaooo
ReplyDeletelike a painting
ReplyDeletegr8 shot boss
ReplyDeleteNc
ReplyDeleteHai
ReplyDeleteDude, your "eye" is remarkably blessed....your pics are awesome!
ReplyDeletewhat a pic!! awesum...
ReplyDeleteBeautiful n awesome....worthy n appreciation:)
ReplyDeletewhat a pic!! awesum ...
ReplyDeleteI will be there on Mar. 13
ReplyDeleteanyone like to take some cool photos together?
me 2
ReplyDeleteAwesome pictures, Jeff.
ReplyDeletemarvelous....
ReplyDeletenice
ReplyDeleteWow
ReplyDeleteLooking beautiful
ReplyDeletethanxsa......gayssssssssssssssssss
ReplyDeleteStunning !
ReplyDeleteWonderful album! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI'm speechless! astounding
ReplyDeletemagnificent ~~
ReplyDeleteNice pic
ReplyDeletebeautiful scene
ReplyDeleteits beautiful i like it very much
ReplyDeletereal good
ReplyDeleteWhat a pics
ReplyDeletenice one....
ReplyDeletei love it.
ReplyDeleteNice
ReplyDeleteWhere is it
ReplyDeletei like=) look very nice
ReplyDeleteheven
ReplyDeletethese are nice i wish i lived near by
ReplyDeletewea r yew frm?
ReplyDeletevery super...good shot...
ReplyDeletenice picture
ReplyDeleteAwesome
ReplyDeletereally amazing
ReplyDeletereally beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI would argue that the yosemite high county is the most spectacular environment for shooting. High alpine lakes, peaks and amazing sunsets. The tioga road wont be open in may, maybe you should reconsider to june when the waterfalls are still full and the road is open.
ReplyDeleteI jusssstt love it.......what a beauty.......! really enchanting....
ReplyDeleteVow! Really Breath-taking photograph
ReplyDeleteWow is so beautiful
ReplyDeleteVery good!!!!
ReplyDeletepooja
ReplyDeleteWho made this comment?..darkness can not drive out darkness,light does this.Hatre can not drive out hatre,love does this
ReplyDeletewonderful....!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's unique...beautiiiiiiful...!
ReplyDeleteVery breathtaking
ReplyDeletewaw.......
ReplyDeletebeautifull earth& the....
ReplyDeleteBeautiful
ReplyDeleteGreat job.......
ReplyDeleteB,ful
ReplyDeleteB,ful pic
ReplyDeletewaw
ReplyDeletegreat
ReplyDeleteOnly can say wow !!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteits really nice !!!!
ReplyDeleteFantastic images, great work!
ReplyDeleteamazing man
ReplyDeleteBeautifullllllllllllllllllllll
ReplyDeleteBeautifullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
ReplyDeleteit's just smply awesome
ReplyDeleteA gret pice of photography
ReplyDeleteTook by yourself? you are the best photographer
ReplyDeletenice....................................................................................
ReplyDeletewow look like my home land....nice picz
ReplyDeletegod bless!
ReplyDeleteI wanna go !
ReplyDeletei dont
ReplyDeletelol ;0
fantastic!!!
ReplyDeleteThese are gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteOh man....now theirs paradise on earth!!!
ReplyDeleteYosemite is on my bucket list of places to visit and photograph. Your images stoke the fire deep within me to go there!
ReplyDeleteWow gr8
ReplyDeletefantastic view
ReplyDeleteI missed the last one so I am going to try to make it to this one. :)
ReplyDeleteYour pictures are over the top. It your pictures are so amazing I think I could be looking at a fairy tale story and get swept up in it. Big shout out to you Jeffrey. Thank you so much for all the time and effort and education!!!
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks everyone! Had my SUV break down in the desert today and that killed my plan to drive to Internert access, but I'll try to do so on Wednesday. Based on 60+ years of records on the Mono Lake Comittee web site and the snowpack today, I do expect Tioga Pass to be open, maybe Glacier Point as well.
ReplyDeleteJason Zhu Yes, I've spent nearly 6 years on the road, driven over 210,000 miles, and for nearly 3 of those years I lived out of my SUV to be able to get out for nearly every sunrise and sunset.. Yosemite is just one of the many places I visited, and this set represents only a recent selection from my images from there.
ReplyDeleteMichael Morrison I looked at the set to see what you might be referring to as doctored, and there is one image with an aggressive white balance setting toward blue, and one image that was produced using HDR as a last resort to salvage the image at all (I believe both were clearly disclosed). The rest are the product of a lot of time in the field and immaculate attention to photographic technique. I don't use Photoshop, but I do use Adobe Lightroom for minor color correction (adjustment of white balance) and adjustment of brightness/contrast. In general, my adjustments produce results much less doctored than a film photographer taking advantage of the ridiculous and unreal look of Velvia film. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Velvia, enhanced color is the decision of the photographer and people can do what they like for artistic purposes. The point I'm making with the Velvia example is that for some reason people try to knock digital photography as if it should be magically free of any needed adjustment. That was not true for film, and still is not true for digital. A camera does not "see" like our eyes do at all (we change exposure at hundreds of points) and our brains apply further distortion (white balance being a good example). A "straight out of camera" result will often not be realistic without additional techniques being used. For example, a reflection in water is 3-4 stops darker, 8 to 16 times darker, than looking directly at the object reflected. Our eyes and brains compensate for that; the camera cannot. It's up to the photographer to understand that, and add a graduated neutral density filter, during the exposure or later in software, to darken the non-reflected portion of the scene. So yes, when trying to most accurately convey what we saw onsite, some degree of knowledge and intervention is not only useful, it's critical. To do any less is to resign oneself to dumb luck, and to producing mostly crappy snapshots. That's OK too; snapshots have their place in the market. Not everyone wants to take the time to understand the difference between how a camera sees and how people see, and to engage in the required intervention to produce images which will be more like how we saw and perceived the moment onsite.
ReplyDeletehey hey
ReplyDeleteThe only thing that is not shown in your beautiful Pictures is the thousands of people, with two hundred and fifty thousand dollar motor home with two tea cup poodles(not an english teacher)
ReplyDeletegod bless!
ReplyDeleteAnd the same to you sir
ReplyDeleteAfter Google+ I'm so sorry to see Google+ closing down, I hope to see you all on the other social media platforms and image sharing services that we use:
ReplyDeleteInstagram @jeffsullivanphotography
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JeffSullivanPhotography
Twitter @jeffsullphoto, @DSLRastronomy
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffreysullivan/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/JeffSullivanPhoto
Web site: http://www.JeffSullivanPhotography.com
Prints: https://jeffsullivan.smugmug.com/
Photography workshops: jeffsullivanphotography.com - 2019 Workshop Calendar