In Search of a Magazine Cover Photo


In Search of a Magazine Cover Photo
Back in June I described on my blog a trip I took where I'd focus on vertical day and night landscapes to enter into Outdoor Photographer magazine's Cover Photo contest: http://activesole.blogspot.com/2011/06/in-search-of-magazine-cover-photo.html

Well, my new shots from that trip didn't win, but a star trails shot from a couple of weeks earlier in Yosemite National Park did! I hear it'll be the November cover, which should hit newsstands in a few shot weeks. I should have a cover mock-up to show you shortly.

It's going to be Outdoor Photographer's best issue EVER! No, I don't know what will be inside yet, but the cover will rock, so they'd better make the rest good! I wonder if they'd consider not putting that big yellow title over my stars...

Update 9/12: Outdoor Photographer magazine has posted a copy of the October issue with an article on star trail photography:
http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/how-to/shooting/solutions-how-to-shoot-star-trails.html

I have a high res copy for prints or free ecards on 500px: http://500px.com/photo/973598

Comments

  1. haha thats awesome man!!!!! Congrats, that has got to feel great!! What were the settings for that shot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats !! You've hit the big one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I only recently starting reading this mag; good stuff and you should be super proud!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats man, that's friggin awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats - its going to make a spectacular cover

    ReplyDelete
  6. man that is HUGE> I don't even kinow you (except through this) but I want a signed copy. Really. Will have to mail you one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is AWESOME! Congrats! It's a fabulous shot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job and congrats. How long was the exposure for this shot if you don't mind me asking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful accomplishment, Jeffrey Sullivan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats. I get every issue of this mag.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats:) and this picture is really BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just found you and your breathtaking photos through Robert Scoble's reshare. Glorious. They made my afternoon. Congratulations on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just saw this... Congratulations!! That is great news for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome. Congrats - Was this during the June full moon?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent shot - well deserved! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sathish Jothikumar, It was in mid-May, right before the full moon. In 2010 the grass was too high and the water too low to get a good reflection, so some years April may be better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jeffrey Sullivan A landscape version of this was shortlisted for Astronomy Photographer of the Year wasn't it, I definitely recognise it. One of mine got shortlisted too, so of to the awards night in Greenwich tonight =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations, well deserved! I hope that issue reaches my corner of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rich Grundy They're actually different compositions/subjects taken on different days/months/years, from different angles. The astronomy shot focuses on a lunar rainbow, and like Tom Lowe's shot a couple of years ago was taken from a night timelapse sequence (we tried to meet up in the bristlecone pines that trip, but ended up missing each other). By coincidence, the moonbow entry was taken from the position of this timelapse, where I was shooting next to Tom last Summer: http://vimeo.com/18437624
    I also shot a timelapse of the solar alignment event Steven Christenson captured in his winning shot last year: http://vimeo.com/18626912
    I'm not expecting much from the astronomy contest, but I'm thrilled to follow my daughter's progress as she was also shortlisted.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the cover, Jeff. Gorgeous shot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks everyone! I was under the impression that it would be the November issue, but it turns out it was the October issue, which started hitting mailboxes today! I got a phone call from a customer literally at the moment my Astronomy Photographer of the Year win was being announced. I answered the phone thinking it would be about that, but he was holding a copy of Outdoor Photographer. I've had a good day!
    Brian Rachielles Thanks, I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is some awesome and exciting news. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Doesn't get better than that! Contrats!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mine was in the mailbox today !! Awesome!
    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  25. After Google+ I'm so sorry to see Google+ closing down, I hope to see you all on other services that we use:

    Instagram @jeffsullivanphotography
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JeffSullivanPhotography
    Twitter @jeffsullphoto, @DSLRastronomy
    Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffreysullivan/
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/JeffSullivanPhoto

    Web site: http://www.JeffSullivanPhotography.com
    Prints: https://jeffsullivan.smugmug.com/

    Photography workshops: jeffsullivanphotography.com - Jeff Sullivan Photography - 2019 Workshop Calendar

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sunset in Bandon on the Oregon Coast